Tuesday, February 14, 2012

World 2.0 / Mundo 2.0

A few years ago we lived in the information age; internet arrived to (almost) every house wich made us be aware of everything that was happening in the world in real time.

Now, however, we live in the information overload era; with the presence of smartphones in our lifes we are connected 24/7, hanging on the telephone, receiving whats apps from our friends everytime something insignificant happens in their lives (‘I’ve seen so and so, she had a haircut’), whenever they get bored (‘I’m in the bus, tell me anything’), everytime they see something that reminds them to us; we find out about famous people’s deaths before the body is cold because we’re checking Facebook while waiting in line at the pub’s restrooms; we are in bed at night almost falling asleep with the cell phone in our hands like teenagers, waiting for someone to answer your whats app…

We know every step our acquaintances on Facebook take, but even they know we’re not interested in learning if they had had blueberry muffins for breakfast with mom at Café Pepita, had spaghetti with pesto with the boyfriend at Ristorante Roma o if they are going to the movies with their best friend. All of this with the result of tagging mom, boyfriend and best friend; them and even the neighbor, to thank him because on that busy day he took time to watch your cat…

‘Check this out, I bought a new t-shirt’ someone posts attaching a photo of the t-shirt. Man, don’t share the photo, if so share the t-shirt! I’m not interested in your shopping, I don’t wanna know every second what song are you listening to and how it makes you feel because it’s been like 10 years since you haven’t listened to that group, I’m not interested in knowing where you are at all times or with who. God forbid your friends had lied to someone about where they are, because he/she will have an argument today and you’ll have it tomorrow.

The worst thing of this whole dissertation is that I’ve thought of it this morning when I was in the shower, when I’ve realized that, while waiting for my sister to leave the bathroom and still in bed, I was already checking Facebook from my Blackberry. Because, despite all the information overload that surrounds us every day, I love checking Facebook from my cell phone several times a day (I don’t have Twitter, but I’ll do it too…), I love when my friends remember me and send me whats apps, even telling stupid things, I like having a gps on my cell that helps not to get lost, I like having the change to google something every time, everywhere, and I love being online 24/7.

Because when you discover the information overload there’s no turning back, and when you start using a smartphone, you no longer think again about using any other kind of cell phone (‘sms?, what’s that?’).
I wanna dedicate this post to all the people that read me from home. And from a cell phone ;)


Hace unos años vivíamos en la era de la información; la llegada de internet a (casi) todos los hogares nos permitió estar al corriente de todo lo que pasa en el mundo prácticamente en tiempo real.

Ahora, sin embargo, vivimos en una era de sobreinformación; con la presencia de los smartphones en nuestras vidas estamos 24 horas conectados, pendientes del teléfono, recibiendo whats apps de nuestros amigos cada vez que pasa algo insignificante en sus vidas (‘He visto a Fulanita, se ha cortado el pelo’), cada vez que se aburren (‘Voy en el bus, cuéntame algo…’), cada vez que ven algo que les recuerda a nosotros; nos enteramos de la muerte de los famosos antes de que el cuerpo esté frío porque estamos pendientes del Facebook mientras esperamos en la cola del baño del bar un sábado a las 3 de la mañana; estamos metidos en la cama durmiéndonos con el móvil en la mano como adolescentes, esperando que te contesten a un whats app…

 Conocemos cada paso que dan nuestros contactos de Facebook, pero hasta ellos saben que no nos interesa si han desayunado muffins de arándanos con su madre en el Café Pepita, si han comido tallarines al pesto con su novio en el Ristorante Roma o si se van al cine con su mejor amiga a ver la nueva película de vete a saber quién. Todo esto con la consiguiente etiqueta a madre, novio y amiga, a ellos y hasta al vecino, para darle las gracias porque en ese día tan ocupado se ha encargado de cuidarte al gato…

‘Mirad todos, me he comprado una camiseta nueva’ y pone la foto de la camiseta. Hombre, no compartas la foto, ¡si acaso comparte la camiseta! No me interesan tus compras, no me interesa saber a cada momento qué canción estás escuchando y cómo te hace sentir porque hace como 10 años que no escuchas ese grupo, no me interesa saber dónde estás a todas horas ni con quién. Dios no quiera que alguno de tus amigos haya mentido a otra persona sobre dónde estará, porque entonces tendrá bronca él y mañana la tendrás tú.

Lo peor de toda esta disertación es que se me ha ocurrido esta mañana en la ducha, cuando me he dado cuenta de que, mientras esperaba a que mi hermana saliera del baño y aún no me había levantado de la cama, ya estaba con la Blackberry en la mano mirando Facebook. Porque, a pesar de toda la sobreinformación que nos invade a diario, me encanta mirar el Facebook desde el móvil varias veces al día (no tengo Twitter, si no también lo haría…), me encanta que mis amigas se acuerden de mí y me envíen un whats app, incluso para decir una chorrada, me encantar tener un gps en el móvil y no perderme, me encanta poder buscar información en internet a cualquier hora y en cualquier lugar, y me encanta estar conectada 24 horas al día.

Porque cuando descubres la sobreinformación ya no hay vuelta atrás, y cuando te acostumbras a tener un smartphone ya no te planteas la posibilidad de usar otro tipo de móvil (‘¿sms?, ¿qué es eso?’).
Este post va dedicado a todos los que me leéis desde casa. Y desde el móvil ;)




1 comment:

  1. jajaja muy interesante, gracioso y sobretodo cierto. Me quedo por aquí!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...